February 24, 2019
Top 5 Winter Things To Do in Waynesville, NC
Posted by: Carolyn G Giunta
Our Top 5 Winter Things To Do in Waynesville, North Carolina:
- Winter Hikes - If you ask Dina, she'll tell you there's no better time to go on a hike than in the winter months. No bugs, no snakes (that's a big one for her), fewer people on the trails and no potential for a bear encounter. It's also a time when you can get better views because the leaves are off the trees by now. We use a great resource to find these winter hiking trails called romanticasheville.com. The publisher and photographer for this site, Mark File, has traveled this area extensively looking for the very best places to experience. Top on his list is Deep Creek Falls. Be sure to check out more details on romanticasheville.com by clicking on the link.
- Skiing at Cataloochee Ski - Cataloochee Ski Area in Maggie Valley, North Carolina is a top ski and snowboard resort in the Southeast. They offer 100% snowmaking coverage of their slopes that include eighteen skiing and snowboarding slopes and trails that are 44% beginner, 39% intermediate, and 17% advanced to expert. Ski and snowboard lessons are available for everyone from the novice to advanced and they have a huge line of rental equipment that is updated every year. Their facilities include an off-mountain snow tubing park at Tube World in Maggie Valley.
- Horseback Riding - At Panther Creek Outfitters, they are a family oriented stable with some of the most gentle, as well as beautiful, American Paint horses you'll find anywhere. Nothing fancy, here! No need to pay for frills or extras that you don't need. They provide simple, basic horseback rides. Choose from a one, two or more hours for your adventure ride. This adventure is one of our favorites. Dina has some background with Hunter/Jumper competitions and has a great love of all horses.
- Biltmore Estate - The luxurious family home of George and Edith Vanderbilt is a marvel of elegance and charm, as magnificent today as it was more than a century ago. Take a self-guided house visit which spans three floors and the basement. You’ll see displays of vintage clothing, accessories, art, furniture, and more that tell stories and illustrate the lives of the Vanderbilt family, their guests, and employees. This is our favorite time of the year to tour the estate. The temperature is perfect, no bugs (seems to be a recurring theme) and no crowds. If you love Christmas decor and celebration, be sure to tour the estate from November 1st through the New Year. It's a sight to behold!
- Craft Beer Tasting Tours -Sierra Nevada Brewery Tour -
Over the last four decades, Their thirst to brew quality, flavorful beer led them across the country and around the globe. In 2012, they broke ground on their second production location in order to send the freshest beer possible to their fans all over the world. They also have an outdoor venue for live music in the warmer, summer months. Visit their sprawling East Coast home in Mills River, North Carolina and see first-hand how determination and a pioneering spirit can lead to incredible adventures.
If you don't want to travel to Asheville, which is only 25 miles to our east, you can do your own craft beer tasting right here in Waynesville. Our favorite is BooJum Brewery, but there is also Frog Level Brewing Company and Bear Waters Brewing Company. Or you can taste them all at our local Blue Ridge Beer Hub or Mad Anthony's Taproom & Restaurant.
After your long day of adventure in Waynesville, come "home" to your cozy suite or cottage at Brookside Mountain Mist Inn & Cottages. We will wrap you in comfort and luxury so you can be ready for tomorrow's adventure. Call us at 828-452-6880 to reserve your suite or cottage today!